This book is for people who want to achieve success and who wish to change their defeat mindset into thinking big.
As the name suggests, The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz helps you to live a successful and happy life. Learn strategies to reach their goals, and believe in yourself.
The book by Davids offers several ways to cultivate and reinforce the most important qualities of successful people.
Here are proven approaches to life situations, and some universally applicable approaches and steps work like magic.
- Chapter 1: Believe You Can Succeed And You Will
- Chapter 2: Cure Yourself of Excusitis, The Failure Disease
- CHAPTER 3. Build Confidence And Destroy Fear
- 2-Step Process to Cure Fear and Win Confidence
- Use Your Memory Bank Wisely To Build Confidence
- Two Ways To Put People In Proper Perspective
- Build Your Confidence With These Five-Effective Techniques
- CHAPTER 4: How to Think Big
- Four Ways To Build The Big Thinking Vocabulary
- Practice Of Adding Value
- Three Procedures To Help You Think About Trivialities
- Chapter 5: How To Think Big And Dream Creatively
- Three Programs Help You Be More Creative By Asking And Listening
- Three Methods Can Be Used To Bring Your Idea To Life
- Chapter 6: You Are What You Think You Are
- Upgrade Your Thinking And Think Like Important People
- Chapter 7: Manage Your Environment: Go First class
- Prepare Yourself For Success
- Make Your Social Environment 1st Class
- Chapter 8: Make Your Attitudes Your Allies
- Grow These Three Attitudes
- Develop The Power Of Enthusiasm With These 3 Ways
- Grow the You-Are-Important Attitude
- Chapter 9: Think Right Toward People
- President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Formula for Success
- Six Ways To Win Friends By Exercising Initiative
- Chapter 10: Get The Action Habit
- Chapter 11: How to Turn Defeat Into Victory
- Five Ways To Turn Your Defeat Into Victory
- Chapter 12: Use Goals to Help You Grow
- 10 Year From Now Planning Guide
- Chapter 13: How to Think Like A Leader
- Four Leadership Rules And Principles
Chapter 1: Believe You Can Succeed And You Will
Success means winning, whether it is related to financial freedom, name, and fame among relatives and friends, or Freedom from worries, fears, and frustration.
Success -achievement -is the goal of life.
The key to success is to believe that you can succeed. Believing that ” I – am positive – I -can generate the power, skill, and energy needed to do so. When you believe it, you can do it.
Disbelief is the negative power. When the mind disbelieves, it attracts “reasons” to support the disbelief; the subconscious mind accepts it and is responsible for failure.
If you think of doubt, you will fail; if you think of victory, you will definitely succeed.
Develop the power of belief by using it.
- Believe in yourself, and good things will start happening.
- Realizing that you’re more capable than you think you are.
- Aim to improve the standard and believe in big things.
Chapter 2: Cure Yourself of Excusitis, The Failure Disease
David argues that giving up the habit of making excuses is one of the most crucial aspects of thinking big.
There are four types of excusitis :
- Health: The more you discuss your bad health, the more of a problem you will see. Instead, genuinely express your gratitude for your current state of health. Refuse to discuss your health. And Be Thankful to God for whatever you have.
- Intellect: We underestimate our brainpower and overestimate the other brainpower. Remember that your attitude is more important than your intelligence. Remember that thinking is more essential than remembering facts.
- Age: There is no ideal moment to commence the process of constructing the life that you desire. Start working with a positive attitude, and you will see the results. Invest future time in doing what you really want to do.
- Luck: Don’t be a wishful thinker, and don’t waste your mental energy. Being successful doesn’t happen by chance; it happens because you do things.
CHAPTER 3. Build Confidence And Destroy Fear
Today’s greatest fear is purely psychological. Fear is the enemy of success. Fear stops people from taking advantage of opportunities. No one is born with confidence. It needs to be built. Your memory is like a bank in your brain. Every day, you deposit something (Good and Bad thoughts). So, pick your thoughts carefully.
2-Step Process to Cure Fear and Win Confidence
- Isolate your fear. Pin it down. Determine exactly what you are afraid of.
- Take action. There is always some action that you can take for any fear.
Use Your Memory Bank Wisely To Build Confidence
- Deposit only Positive thoughts in your memory bank. Remember many good things you have, and show gratitude towards them, such as your spouse, children, your health, and wealth. Be thankful for them.
- Withdraw only positive thoughts from your memory bank. Think about all the small things you did well or accomplished. Life is wonderful if you look at it positively.
Two Ways To Put People In Proper Perspective
- You should have a balanced view of the other person. Keep these two points dealing with the people first. The other fellow is important, but also remember: You are important too.
- Develop an attitude of understanding. Learn to accept that people who want to hurt you, scream at you, pick on you, or otherwise hurt you are not uncommon. Otherwise, you may experience a loss of self-assurance and ultimately feel defeated.
Build Your Confidence With These Five-Effective Techniques
- Try to be a front-seater and overcome your fear. Sitting up front builds confidence.
- It is recommended to practice making eye contact while conversing with someone.
- Walk 25% faster than what we normally walk.
- Practice speaking up
- Smile Big
CHAPTER 4: How to Think Big
How big we think determines the size of our accomplishments. One of humanity’s greatest weaknesses is self-deprecation. Let’s see how we can improve our thinking.
- You have more power than you think, so don’t underestimate it.
- People are judged by how much they think. Someone who is successful thinks big. They can see beyond the present and have a great idea of the future.
- Look at things differently instead of seeing them as they are.
- A big thinker always thinks creatively and optimistically and visualizes what can be done in the future.
Four Ways To Build The Big Thinking Vocabulary
- Use positive, cheerful words and phrases to describe your health. People who feel and speak positive words always win their friends.
- Use Bright, cheerful, favorable words and phrases to describe your friend. Make it a habit to say nice things to everyone you work with.
- Make sure you use positive language to encourage others and compliment people personally.
- Use positive words to outline plans to others. Share the good news. You can promise victory and win support. Build castles, don’t dig graves.
Big thinkers constantly work on seeing more than just what is, but also what could be. Here is how we can develop your power to see what can, not just what is.
Practice Of Adding Value
- Practice adding value to things: Search for ideas to make things worth more, like adding value to your house and business.
- Practice adding value to people: As you move up in the organization hierarchy, your responsibility becomes more and more pronounced. Remember that to make someone feel their best, you must first imagine them feeling their best.
- Practice adding value to yourself: Think about yourself daily and ask yourself, “What can I do to be more valuable today?” Imagine yourself as someone you want to be instead of who you are now.
Three Procedures To Help You Think About Trivialities
Marriage: The primary objective is to achieve peace, happiness, and tranquility rather than engaging in disputes or expressing one’s opinions.”
Employee: The objective of the employees is to maximize their potential rather than focusing on rectifying minor errors.
Neighbors: The main goal is to treat each other well with mutual respect and be friends without expecting anything else from them.
Chapter 5: How To Think Big And Dream Creatively
Creative thinking means finding a better way to do something. The reward is both personal and professional, with all kinds of accomplishments. Here is what we can do to strengthen our creative thinking ability.
- Believe it can be done.
- If you allow your mind to, it will come up with a solution.
Believe, and you’ll start thinking -constructively.
Traditional thinking blocks your progress, freezes your mind, and prevents you from developing creative power. Here are three ways to fight with it.
- Be open to new thoughts and ideas.
- Be a person who likes trying new things. Break up your fixed routine and explore new books, theater, and friends.
- You should be progressive, not regressive.
Capacity is the state of mind. What we can do depends on what we think we can do. When you truly believe you can do more, your mind will think creatively and show you the way.
Three Programs Help You Be More Creative By Asking And Listening
- Encourage others to speak up.
- Take the opportunity to test your views with questions.
- Concentrate on what the other person is saying.
Three Methods Can Be Used To Bring Your Idea To Life
- Don’t forget to write down your ideas. Memory is a weak slave, and preserving and nurturing new ideas is important.
- Check your idea and save it in an active file.
- Make your idea grow by cultivating and feeding it.
Chapter 6: You Are What You Think You Are
Some people have confidence, loyalty, and respect, while others don’t. You will notice that the person who you are most respected is successful; there is only a difference in thinking.
To be most important, we must think we are important. Always remember your presence “talks.” So dress up right.
It costs so cheap to be clean. Dressing in clothes can make you feel better and more confident.
Your appearance talks to you: but it also talks to others.
Thinking about your work is also essential. These two suggestions will help you get others to do more for you:
- Always show a positive attitude toward your work, so your subordinates will “pick up” the right thinking.
- You should ask yourself, “Am I worthy in every respect of being imitated? Do my habits make me happy to see them in my subordinates?
Practice uplifting self-praise. Don’t practice belittling self-punishment. You are what you think you are; think More of yourself; there is more of you. Build your own “sell-yourself to yourself.” commercial.
Upgrade Your Thinking And Think Like Important People
Upgrading your actions and thinking leads to success. Cement in your mind the question,” Is this the way a significant person does it? Use these questions to make you a bigger, more successful person.
- Look important, it helps you think important.
- Think your job is essential.
- Give yourself a pep talk several times daily.
- In your life, ask yourself, “Is this the way an important person thinks?“
Chapter 7: Manage Your Environment: Go First class
The human mind is a remarkable mechanism. When your mind works in one direction, it can help you achieve great things. Like the mind is what the mind is fed, the body is what the body is fed.
- Your surroundings significantly impact your conscious and subconscious thoughts, and numerous variables can affect your thoughts.
- The environment shapes us and influences how we think.
- Things like talking, holding a cup, and our preferences for music, literature, entertainment, and clothing are all part of the environment.
- The environment is the most significant factor in determining the size of one’s thinking, objective, attitude, and personality.
- Being around negative people for a long time makes us think that way.
Prepare Yourself For Success
- The first group of people are those who surrender completely.
- The second Group of people are those who surrender partially.
- The third group is those who never surrender.
You can do it, simply by thinking right.
Make Your Social Environment 1st Class
- Make new friends, join new groups, and expand your social circle more.
- Pick people who think differently than you do. Get to know people of different religions.
- Choose friends who are above petty, unimportant things—people who care about good things and friends who want you to do well. It would help if you surrounded yourself with encouragement.
- Discard thought poison from your surroundings. Avoid gossip. Stay on the positive side when you talk about people.
Chapter 8: Make Your Attitudes Your Allies
Can you read minds? Reading minds is easier than you think. But you can read the minds of the people.
Remember the song, “You Don’t Need to Know the Language to Say You Are in Love.”
So, for millions of years, people communicated with others by body, facial expression, and sounds, not words. And attitudes do make a difference as well.
Grow These Three Attitudes
- The attitude of I’m activated.
- The attitude of I’m important.
- The attitude of Service first.
Develop The Power Of Enthusiasm With These 3 Ways
- Dig into it deeper. To get enthusiastic, learn more about what you are not enthusiastic about.
- In everything you do, life it up. Your enthusiasm, or lack of it, shows in everything you do and say.
- Broadcast good news. Good news delivers enthusiasm and even promotes good digestion. It does more than attention; good news, please people.
Grow the You-Are-Important Attitude
- It is a fact that everyone wishes to feel important. Man’s strongest and most compelling nonbiological hunger is the desire to be essential.
- First, people do more for you when you make them feel important.
- When you help others feel important, you help yourself feel important, too. You must feel important to succeed.
- Practice appreciation and practice calling people by their names.
Chapter 9: Think Right Toward People
Success depends on the support of the other people. Think right, the other People. They will like and support you.
Before he became president, Johnson, who was excellent at convincing others, made his ten-point plan for success.
President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Formula for Success
- Learn to remember names.
- Be a comfortable person so that there is no strain in being with you. Be an old-shoe individual.
- Learn to be relaxed and calm so that things don’t bother you.
- Do not be egoistic.
- Cultivate the quality to Be interesting so people feel good when they work with you.
- Even if you are unconscious, study to get the “scratchy” elements out of your personality.
- Try to fix every misunderstanding you’ve had or have now on a Christian basis.
- Practice liking people until you learn to do so genuinely.
- Never miss an opportunity to say a word of congratulation upon anyone’s achievement or express sympathy in sorrow or disappointment.
- Give spiritual strength to people, and they will give genuine affection to you.
Six Ways To Win Friends By Exercising Initiative
- You should introduce yourself to others at every possible opportunity, like parties and meetings.
- Be sure the other person gets your name straight.
- Be certain you can pronounce the other person’s name the way he/she pronounces it.
- Please write down the other person’s name and ensure you have it spelled correctly.
- Drop a personal note or call the new friends you feel you want to know better. Follow through.
- Say pleasant things to strangers.
Chapter 10: Get The Action Habit
The key ingredient for success is the ability to get things done and achieve results. It is not enough to have excellent ideas, but it also requires action on them. John Wanamaker often said,
“Nothing comes merely by thinking about it.”
The successful are active called activationists. Ordinary and mediocre people are passive. Grow the Action Habit In your Life by following steps :
- We can discover a success principle by studying both groups. Mr. Activationists is a doer, and Mr. Passivationist is a “don’ter.”
- Don’t wait; still, conditions are perfect; they will never be.
- Ideas will not alone bring success. You have to act upon them.
- Take action to overcome fear and gain confidence. Just try it and see.
- Start your mental engine mechanically. Don’t wait for the spirit to move you.
- Think in terms of now. Tomorrow, next week, later, and similar words are often synonymous with the failure word, never. Be an active person.
- Don’t waste time getting ready to act. Get down to business as soon as possible. Start acting instead.
- Resize the initiative. Be a reformer. Pick up the ball and run. Have the confidence to get things done.
Chapter 11: How to Turn Defeat Into Victory
Success or failure depends on handling problems, obstacles, discouragement, and other disappointing situations.
Five Ways To Turn Your Defeat Into Victory
- Study setbacks to pave your way to success. Learn from your mistakes and move forward.
- Have the courage to offer constructive feedback to yourself. Please find out your weaknesses and try to correct them.
- Stop blaming luck. Research each setback. Try to find out what went wrong.
- Blend persistence with experimenting. Stay with your goal.
- There is a good side in every situation. Find it. See the good side of things, and don’t get discouraged.
Chapter 12: Use Goals to Help You Grow
A goal is an objective, a purpose. A goal is more than a dream. Goals are just as important for success as breathing is for life. Without goals, we cannot grow. First, visualize your future in terms of work, home, and social. This planning guide will help you plan.
10 Year From Now Planning Guide
Work: 10 years from now…
- What income level do I want to attain?
- What level of responsibility do I seek?
- How much authority do I want to command?
- How much prestige do I expect to gain from my work?
Home: 10 years from now…
- What kind of standard of living do I want to provide for my family and myself?
- What kind of house do I want to live in?
- What kind of vacations do I want to take?
- What financial support do I want to give my children in their early adulthood?
Social: 10 years from now…
- What kinds of friends do I want to have?
- What social groups do I want to join?
- What community leadership positions would I like to hold?
- What worthwhile causes do I want to champion?
Chapter 13: How to Think Like A Leader
Being successful requires the help and cooperation of others. We want to master in four special leadership rules that cause us to do things for ourselves in the executive suite, business, social club, home, and anywhere we find people.
Four Leadership Rules And Principles
- Trade minds with the people you would like to influence.
- Think about what the human way is to handle it.
- Think about progress, believe in progress, and push for progress.
- Take time out to confer with yourself.
If you enjoy this book summary, you may also enjoy reading: